First Presbyterian Church has been serving the Lexington, Nebraska community since 1873. At our web site, you will learn about the church, the people in our church and how you can find your place in our church. Feel free to browse around this site. If you have comments or questions about our church or simply need more information and want to contact us, click on the contact button on any page within this site. Thanks for visiting, come back again.
MRS. ROY C. HAAS SCHOLARSHIP
THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, LEXINGTON, NEBRASKA
PRESENTS THE MRS. ROY C. HAAS SCHOLARSHIP
The First Presbyterian Church will award scholarships to active church member(s) who plan on taking courses at an accredited college, other than Hastings College. Said scholarship will be issued at the discretion of the Church Endowment and Gifts Committee. The Committee reserves the right to award multiple scholarships per year or none at all. The scholarship is NOT renewable.
Consideration for the scholarship will be given to ANY Church member who has been active in the Church and shows qualities of good character and leadership, academic achievement and participation in both curricular and community activities. The scholarship will be awarded only when the Committee has determined the applicant has PARTICIPATED REGULARLY in church activities. Students attending Hastings College are not eligible for this scholarship as they are awarded scholarships under a separate program provided by the Church. FIRST PRIORITY for the scholarship will be given to graduating high school seniors, FOLLOWED BY college students pursuing an undergraduate degree, FOLLOWED by members taking continuing education classes.
As we journey with Jesus to the cross this Lent, and then celebrate the victory of Life on Easter and every day, we are entering a season when God invites us to pay attention, and to pack our bags and follow where the Lord leads.
Since we are traveling with Jesus on the road to Jerusalem, I suggest we pack our bags this Lent. Here are 40 suggestions for bags to pack these 40 days of Lent.
- Give a bag of new or used books for the local public library.
- A bag of Kisses chocolate candy - give to someone, anonymously, as a secret act of grace.
- A bag of diapers and wipes to give a family with an infant.
- Toiletries from a motel/hotel when you're on vacation: give to Food Pantry.
- Write down your regrets, put them in a paper bag: give them to God in prayer. Crumple bag, put in trash or burn pile, trust God to renew your life.
- Put coins and bills in OGHS fish; put fish in plastic bag so the money doesn't spill: bring bag to worship, put in offering plate.
- Gather clean clothes in good condition: put in bags, take to Goodwill.
- Clean out the linen closet and take bed linens and towels, in great shape, take to Parent-Child Center.
- Fill a plastic grocery sack with plastic grocery sacks: bring to church for LMS students to make into sleeping mats.
- Put a sandwich, chips, fruit into lunch bag: give a sack lunch to someone who might not feel like cooking that day.
- Buy a gas card, put it in a sack with bottle of water and devotional book: give an anonymous gift to someone who's struggling: fuel for vehicle, body, and spirit.
- Unused items in your pantry or food cupboards: bag and bring for Food Pantry.
- Baby grown out of infant sizes, toddler no longer in baby clothes? Take to Parent-Child Center, or bring to church and we'll find them a good home.
- Each day put four slips of paper with "thank you", "well done"' or " good job" written on them in snack bag. Either say or give four thank-you's each day (the slips will be a reminder).
- Put a healthy snack in a re-sealable bag each day, eat it: take better care of your body.
- Put a pocket size Bible in your handbag, backpack, or pocket: read it each day.
- Turn a pillowcase into a bag. Buy a child-friendly pillowcase, put in a stuffed animal, and take to Foster Care Services for children entering foster care.
- 19, 20. Items taking up space in your room or house, that you don't need or love -- fill at least 3 bags, give them away.